If you are trying to lose weight, this is an easy way to cut calories without starving yourself.
Liquid calories are readily absorbable, meaning that they will go straight into your bloodstream as sugar. This produces an immediate response from the body, releasing a huge amount of insulin. Insulin job is to take up all the sugar floating around, taking it to muscles and organs where it should be used as energy. The problem is when those sites are full, insulin will have to make other arrangements. Which means taking the sugar to your liver where it will take the form of a long-term type of storage. You probably heard of it before. It is called FAT. And your body favourite storage spot is your belly.
So, unless you are looking to expand your pants, it is time to stop drinking your calories. And don’t fool yourself by saying “oh but it is fruit juice, so it is healthy.” I’m sorry to burst your bubble but one glass of orange juice has the SAME amount of calories than regular coke. If you want the nutrients of fruit, then eat it whole.
Want to know your options?
- Plain or sparkling water (this is a no brainer)
- Flavoured water (store bought or homemade)
- Tea and coffee (as long as you don’t put sugar on it)
- Low calorie versions of soft drinks (no my fave but if you must have soda, I’d rather you having something with calorie-free)
- Supershake (only if it will be a meal replacement option)
There you have it. I hope this helps you making smarter choices.
 Insulin is a hormone responsible for controlling blood sugar levels.
 Supershake is a liquid meal composed of one serving of each food group (fruits, vegetables, protein, and healthy fat).